EXCERPT FROM 'This is the Beat Generation' BY JOHN CLENNON HOLMES

Any attempt to label an entire generation is unrewarding, and yet the generation which went through the last war [WWII], or at least could get a drink easily once it was over, seems to possess a uniform, general quality which demands an adjective ... The origins of the word 'beat' are obscure, but the meaning is only too clear to most Americans. More than mere weariness, it implies the feeling of having been used, of being raw. It involves a sort of nakedness of mind, and, ultimately, of soul; a feeling of being reduced to the bedrock of consciousness. In short, it means being undramatically pushed up against the wall of oneself. A man is beat whenever he goes for broke and wagers the sum of his resources on a single number; and the young generation has done that continually from early youth.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

     Ten days ago, months of training finally came to fruition.  As some of you know, I begun taking exercise seriously (if not borderline obsessively).  It all started back in 2008 when my medication regime changed, elevating my mood to the point where I no longer felt that stillness, whether on the couch or in bed, but preferably in front of the video teat that fed me comforting pap that obviated any need to be ambulatory other than to eat and execrete, was the highest goal that I could aspire to.  Once I began feeling, if not happy, then at least as if I had lost the need to be comfortably numb, I began to go for walks.  These slowly progressed into runs and only got more elaborate from that point on, especially once I noticed the hugely beneficial effect extended cardio had on my mood and energy levels.
     Hence, I took the next logical step and signed up for a tri-a-tri at Toronto Island.  It went swimmingly and I was hooked.  I did another slightly longer one earlier this year.  But about a week and a half ago, I took it to another level after training 5-6 days a week all spring and summer so I could enter an Olympic distance triathlon event.  It took place at Wasaga Beach on Saturday, September 10.  The course consisted of a 1500 m swim, a 40 km bike ride, and a ten km run.  And now I can proudly say that I am a triathlete that completed an Olympic length course in 3 hours, 15 minutes.  Now I realize this time is nothing to boast about in serious athletic circles but I am just proud that I accomplished my goal of finishing the event without stopping.  Besides, I am willing to wager that many readers of this post would not even get past the initial 1 1/2 km swim, let alone the rest of the race.
    Of course, many of you have families, while I myself am single.  While this can be at times an (excruciatingly) lonely lifestyle, it definitely lends itself well to the necessary training regimen as I don't have to worry about dirty diapers, quality time, and all that healthy social interaction stuff that psychologists are always on about when they try to deliniate what brings a contented, well-balanced life.  Nevertheless, living alone does have it's advantages, at least one of which I have availed myself.  My heart may be broken, or at least graffittied over with other's messages, emotionally a dysfunctional peice of organic equipment but physically, it is a powerhouse, providing energy for work, play and the strength to put up with idiots and assholes, a mainstay of my working life.
    Anyway... that's enough ranting for one entry.  I hope you found it interesting, at the very least in a kind of "Hey, hon - check out this delusional guy's blog!  He's somekind a wacko..."  But for the record, so was Jesus, Ghandi, Siddharta, Noah, Martin Luther King Jr. and many others.  All I wish for you is the peace that has been provided to me through exercise.  Talk my word for it - go for a walk, then work your way up to a run.  You'll be amazed at how much your mental well-being improves.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rants, diatribes, jeremiads, romodomotads and any sort of passionate prose will be welcomed here.

Followers

annotationz from underground

My photo
chronicler of the bre@kBeat generation