EXCERPT FROM 'This is the Beat Generation' BY JOHN CLENNON HOLMES

Any attempt to label an entire generation is unrewarding, and yet the generation which went through the last war [WWII], or at least could get a drink easily once it was over, seems to possess a uniform, general quality which demands an adjective ... The origins of the word 'beat' are obscure, but the meaning is only too clear to most Americans. More than mere weariness, it implies the feeling of having been used, of being raw. It involves a sort of nakedness of mind, and, ultimately, of soul; a feeling of being reduced to the bedrock of consciousness. In short, it means being undramatically pushed up against the wall of oneself. A man is beat whenever he goes for broke and wagers the sum of his resources on a single number; and the young generation has done that continually from early youth.

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

morphogenetic fields forever!


I was on the way home from the gym listening, as I usually do in the car, to CBC. It was just after 9 pm and weeknights at that hour they have this brilliant show called "Ideas". This week they were featuring a biologist named Rupert Sheldrake. He has a homepage you might want to check out as he has some rather unorthodox ideas such as his theory of morphic fields and morphic resonance. Anyway, why is this in any way relevant to my life? Well, back around the turn of the century I was couch surfing at a friend's one bedroom apartment in Ottawa. Nevertheless, we managed to get along well enough for him to loan me a tape (yes, remember those dinosaurs of the audio medium?) with some hard beats on it labelled `Synthesthesia`.

Years passed as they tend to do, and I found myself back in Waterloo where I met a student involved with the university radio station, CKMS (there is a tale worth telling there presently but that will have to be fodder for another post). We became friends, bonding as I recall over psychedelic trance music, so he invited me to come and co-host his show, aptly named `Lithium Brownies`. Apt since it was just three hours of him spouting whatever insanity happened to fire in his neural network interspersed with (mostly industrial / electronica / metal) hard hitting tracks. The first day I showed up for my co-hosting duties, he pointed at the shelves covering the walls floor to ceiling and told me to pick out some CDs we might be able to both agree should be played that show. It was a fairly extensive CD library and it occurred to me that they might have a (digital) copy of that `Synthesthesia`album that had made such an impression and was definitely hard enough to meet my partner`s stringent musical criteria. Lo and behold, there it was sitting on the shelf, to wit with a green dot sticker on it, meaning it helped us fill our Canadian content obligation.

Well, on that album there was a track called 'morphogenetic fields forever'. And here is where the many digressions come back to Rupert Sheldrake, his relevance to my life and synchronicity. Here's the actual show I heard, but be forewarned: it requires Real Media player garbage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rants, diatribes, jeremiads, romodomotads and any sort of passionate prose will be welcomed here.

Followers

annotationz from underground

My photo
chronicler of the bre@kBeat generation